What you Need to Know About Salvation
How Can I Be Saved?
Many people ask the question “how can I be saved”? Why is it crucial that we become ‘born again’ and what does the Bible have to say about the matter? Salvation means that we are saved from the consequences of sin and living a lawless lifestyle. According to the Bible, lawlessness has severe consequences both in this life and in the life hereafter. The Bible warns about the destructive nature and power of sin on our earthly lives because sin has the power to destroy us physically, mentally and emotionally. But it is the ‘second death’ death’ that we are to fear most.
A basic outline of what the Bible teaches about life and death:
- Every person is born in a spiritually fallen state (as sinners). Sin entered the world through the disobedience of one man Adam in the Garden of Eden). This is what the Bible refers to as ‘original sin’.
- Through sin, death entered into the world and corrupted the spiritual image of man (who is created in God’s image)
- It is appointed for all men to die once, and then to stand before the Judgement seat of God where He determines our eternal destiny
- We are not to fear the first death (death of our bodies), but we are to fear the second death (the potential death of our spirit-man)
- Sin is destructive and counterproductive to humanity in every way (physically, spiritually, emotionally, relationships)
- In addition our sin separates us (alienates us) from our creator – God
- Gods penalty for sin is eternal death, but His free gift to those who accept it, is eternal life.
- God hates sin because He is Holy and Righteous, and passes judgement on all who sin and live a lawless life (i.e. those who live without a regard for God’s spiritual and moral laws)
- God has revealed His higher Laws in a publication called The Bible so no one has any excuse
- For those who decide to not familiarize themselves with God’s laws, they will be judged on the basis that the existence of God is self-evident through what He created (everything on the earth and the heavens above)
- It is not the will of God that any should perish but that everyone should come to the knowledge of God through His Son Jesus Christ, who died for the sins of the world.
- God loves His creation so much that He sent His only Son to the earth, to give His life as a sacrifice to God, for the sins of all humanity.
- Through the sacrifice of Jesus, God’s wrath against sin and sinners has been appeased, and those who accept God’s free gift of salvation are declared “not guilty” of sin and lawlessness (rebellion) against God.
- Those who accept the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, have passed from eternal death to eternal life. Although their bodies will die, they will live eternally as spirit beings in the presence of God.
- But those who reject God’s free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, will be eternally condemned for their lawlessness and rebellion against the God who created all things.
- There is only one name in heaven and on the earth by which man can be saved – Jesus Christ the only son of the living God.
- Man cannot save himself because he is held captive by the destructive power of sin. Good works or self effort cannot save us, neither can any other ‘alternative spiritual path’ or ‘religion’ save us.
- Every person has to make a decision for or against Christ while they are still alive. After death, it is too late. This is why the Bible declares that TODAY is the acceptable and appointed time of salvation.
For those who claim that you are free to believe what you wish and live as you please, I say to you that FREEDOM IS A MYTH. As human beings we are not free to live as we please … our beliefs, decisions, and the moral codes we live or do not live by, have inescapable consequences. We are free in the sense that we can live as we please, but we cannot escape the consequences of our decisions and life choices. For more detailed information on the subject of the inescapable consequences of our life choices, visit God’s Laws or Man’s Laws?
A – All people are sinners
… for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. – Romans 3:23
B – The Bible is God’s word of love and salvation.
… but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name. – John 20:31
C – The condition of sinners is serious.
… that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. – 2 Thessalonians 2:12
D – Christ died to save sinners.
But God demonstrated His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. – Romans 5:8
E – Everyone who believes will have eternal life.
… whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. – John 3:16
F – We are saved through faith.
For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” – Romans 1:17
G – Good works will not save you.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. – Ephesians 2:8,9
H – Hell and punishment await unbelievers.
… in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power. – 2 Thessalonians 1:8,9
I – Nothing is impossible for God.
For with God nothing will be impossible. – Luke 1:37
J – There is joy in heaven over one sinner who repents.
Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. – Luke 15:10
K – If we trust God, He will keep us from sin.
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy … – Jude 24
L – God loves sinners and wants to save them.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. – John 3:16
M – God has mercy on unbelievers.
For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all. – Romans 11:32
N – Jesus is the only name by which we can be saved.
Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved. – Acts 4:12
O – We show God we love Him by obeying His commandments.
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. – 1 John 5:3
P – God is patient with unbelievers,
The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. – 2 Peter 3:9
Q – Those who don’t believe should quickly decide to follow Jesus.
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. – 2 Corinthians 6:2
R – Christians have a reason to rejoice.
… rejoice because your names are written in heaven. – Luke 10:20
S – The Bible, the Scriptures, can teach us how to be saved.
… from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. – 2 Timothy 3:15
T – We should give thanks to God for the wonderful gift of salvation.
Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift. – 2 Corinthians 9:15
U – The Holy Spirit helps us understand God’s Word.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. – 1 Corinthians 2:12
V – Jesus has gained the victory over death for us.
So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” – 1 Corinthians 15:54
W – Whoever calls on Jesus will be saved.
… whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. – Acts 2:21
Y – God loves you so much He calls you His child.
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. – 1 John 3:1